Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Where's Large Marge?



Does this look familiar?

You might recall it from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. This Dinosaur "museum" is just up the road from us and we went to visit it with our play group a few weeks ago. I didn't recognize it at first - the dinosaurs and the grounds just seemed like a familiar example of mid-century American roadside kitsch. After I realized it was from the Pee-Wee film I had a great time viewing classic clips from the movie on You-Tube.

The place grew on Little S - she was very skiddish at first but opened up the idea of giant dino-monsters as our visit progressed. The kids got to dig for rocks in the Dino sand pit and pan for gems in the water trough. At the end of the visit you could climb inside the 3-story tall T-rex but Little S would have none of that (ok by me - I'm afraid of heights and the Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower were pure torture for me).


It was VERY windy out there
I love this shot - classic Little S pose

I told her to pick a few dinos to stand by for pictures - she chose this giant but non-threatening turtle (her word) and the tiny dinos in the pic below.

1 comment:

Becca said...

At one point in my life, I had the whole peewee movie memorized...I didn't realize the huge dinos actually existed! Looks like fun.