Monday, April 7, 2008

Not Your Grandma's Quilt


I've been researching the fascinating world of quilting instead of actually starting my quilt project (but hey, that's how I roll). For me, half the fun of any project is researching it to death and then diving in.

The world of art quilts is most intriguing. My tiny local library had a 500 page art quilt catalogue full of works by contemporary artist-quilters from all over the world. Pictured above is the work of Joy Saville. (My own project pattern, called "Turning Twenty", is terribly rudimentary compared to these masterpieces, but I enjoy the eye candy, nonetheless.)

I L-L-Love the work below by Japanese artist Noriko Endo, titled Autumn Walk - its reproduction in my book is much more vibrant and detailed than what was available on the web.

Finally, I came across a great little book about kaleidoscope quilting - a technique with which I will definately experiment after Little S's quilt is completed.

2 comments:

Nicole O said...

I love that you are getting the quilting bug. It has been a fun hobby to be learning. I'm not very good, but I enjoy the process. The fabrics, the cutting, sewing, seeing it all come together. It gives a real sense of accomplishment. We did a "turning twenty" quilt. Should be a good one to start with, we also like "yellow brick road". Have fun, can't wait to see how it goes. Keep me posted.

Becca said...

Gorgeous quilts. Steph, you and I will always be researchers of pretty things!

good luck on your project!