Monday, April 7, 2008

Not Your Grandma's Quilt


I've been researching the fascinating world of quilting instead of actually starting my quilt project (but hey, that's how I roll). For me, half the fun of any project is researching it to death and then diving in.

The world of art quilts is most intriguing. My tiny local library had a 500 page art quilt catalogue full of works by contemporary artist-quilters from all over the world. Pictured above is the work of Joy Saville. (My own project pattern, called "Turning Twenty", is terribly rudimentary compared to these masterpieces, but I enjoy the eye candy, nonetheless.)

I L-L-Love the work below by Japanese artist Noriko Endo, titled Autumn Walk - its reproduction in my book is much more vibrant and detailed than what was available on the web.

Finally, I came across a great little book about kaleidoscope quilting - a technique with which I will definately experiment after Little S's quilt is completed.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I love that you are getting the quilting bug. It has been a fun hobby to be learning. I'm not very good, but I enjoy the process. The fabrics, the cutting, sewing, seeing it all come together. It gives a real sense of accomplishment. We did a "turning twenty" quilt. Should be a good one to start with, we also like "yellow brick road". Have fun, can't wait to see how it goes. Keep me posted.

Shane and Becca said...

Gorgeous quilts. Steph, you and I will always be researchers of pretty things!

good luck on your project!