Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pulled an All-Nighter for:


Yup, that's right - all-nighters are not just for college. In order to REGISTER Little S for our desired preschool, an all-nighter was required. With only 4 spots available in the class for her age (which starts in Sept), we had to be at the front of the line when registration opened at 8:30 this morning!

Our friend who was also committed to getting his son in the same class drove by the school at 7:30 last night and called D to tell him that another guy was already in line - "better get over here ASAP if you want in!" (We were planning on going over at midnight - boy, were we wrong!) D was third in line. By 10:30 pm there were 10 people in line. At 11:30 pm, D and our friend had 2 college kids that work for them come and sleep in line to hold our place. Then I went over this morning for my shift from 6:30 to 8:30am.

Mission Accomplished - we're in! Only hurdle left: get Little S totally potty-trained by the last week of August. (We're almost there.)

Here are some of the funny remarks from parents standing in line:
"What if the person at the front of the line is registering quadruplets?!"
"I've never even done this for a CONCERT! I was considering Zeppelin this summer, but after last night, I'm not sleeping outside for any tickets."
We were discussing how we might produce a cool documentary on the lengths parents will go to for their kids - some good and some bad. The scene this morning would have been perfect for such a show...We all acknowledged it was so silly, but no one was willing to walk away from their precious spot in line!

4 comments:

Dave and Loralee said...

I've been trying to figure out why your blog always seems so classy. I still don't know what it is but it's nice to know that someone I know can pull it off. Any plans to come to Cleveland any time soon? It's a pretty sweet vacation spot what with our high crime rate and all.

Jeanette said...

Yeah for preschool! So, will Little S be in two years of preschool before starting K?

Matthew said...

What a gastly experience. Couldn't they have just taken the first 4 emails or something?

Jocelyn Allan said...

I hate to admit it, but I too have spent some CRAZY time in lines and on phones when it comes to getting my kids into preschools--I feel like it was worth it because I have been happy with our first preschool experience this year. Hope yours turns out great too!